Do you struggle to fit all of your belongings in your car when you’re going on a camping trip? Do you find you have to leave some things behind due to the lack of space?
Then we have a solution for you! A Rooftop Cargo Bag!
We’ve tried different cargo bags to determine which one is the most versatile and overall best rooftop cargo bag. We chose six, each presenting different attributes to accommodate different needs. Read on to find out which ones made our top list!
In a hurry? Check out our winner Sherpak Go! Rooftop Cargo Bag
Our Best Rooftop Cargo Bags
- Sherpak Go! Rooftop Cargo Bag(Best overall)
- Roofbag Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag (Runner up 1)
- RoofPax Cargo Bag (Runner up 2)
- Rightline Rooftop Cargo Bag (best cargo bag for small cars)
- ToolGuards Rooftop Cargo Bag (Best for aerodynamics)
- Asani Rooftop Cargo Bag (Best value for money)
- Keeper Rooftop Cargo Bag (Lightest rooftop cargo bag)
A Rooftop Cargo Bag is used to increase the cargo space of your car. Thus, everything that doesn’t fit in the trunk of your car can be put in the bag. The bag keeps your belongings safe and secure on top of the car during your trip. It’s one of the best yet inexpensive solutions to increase cargo space with or without roof racks.
In this article, we talk about the best type of rooftop cargo bags that you can get for a road trip or for camping.
We cover some of the important aspects to consider before buying a Rooftop Cargo Bag. We also answer some of the most common questions you may have about Rooftop Cargo bags. So let’s begin!
1. Sherpak Go! Cargo Bag
We gave the Sherpak Go! Rooftop Cargo Bag a rating of 4.8 stars out of 5 stars. It’s strong, sturdy with a huge capacity. It fits all cars and SUVs with or without roof racks. We believe it’s one of the best Rooftop Cargo Bag out there.
Some of its most endearing features are as follows:
- Made from vinyl and heavy-duty plastic hardware, which are UV protected.
- It also features RF-Welded Seams and smooth zippers. This particular cargo bag does a pretty good job of keeping your gear safe and secure.
- It has a universal attachment system which means that you can easily connect to any type of car or truck without the need for a roof rack.
- Easy to install with the provided straps. It’s perfect for cars that don’t have roof racks.
- It measures 15.5 x 37 x 45 inches and offers 424L/15 cubic feet of space.
- Its heavy-duty hardware, coil zippers, and RF-welded seams keep your cargo dry and also help to elongate the shelf life of the cargo bag.
2. RoofBag Roof Top Cargo Bag
After careful consideration, we’ve allotted the Roofbag Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag 4.5 stars out of 5. We liked how sturdy it is as well as its exceptional security features. Plus, it fits most cars with or without roof racks.
- The Roofbag Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag is the best waterproof solution out there. It has a triple-seal technology that protects the bag and what’s inside against water, dirt, UV radiation, etc.
- You can install this particular Rooftop Cargo Bag on any type of roof. Whether your car has crossbars, side rails, and even if it doesn’t have any type of roof rack, the Roofbag will mount over most rooftops perfectly.
- The unit is made from heavy-duty material to ensure that your cargo remains protected. It’s made from heavy-duty polyester which has vinyl coating. This minimizes the wear and tear of the bag.
- The straps of the RoofBag Rooftop Cargo Bag are also water-resistant. This product has a secure waterproof system that keeps the cargo in place even at high speeds and doesn’t let water in the car through the straps.
- With 4 YKK buckles, you can be sure that the bag will remain steadfast on the roof.
3. RoofPax Rooftop Cargo Bag
We gave the RoofPax Cargo Bag 4.5 stars out of 5! Though it will fit on all cars, it is ideal for large-sized cars. If the standard 15 cubic feet size is not enough to carry all of your gear, then you should invest in this particular Cargo Bag. It offers a huge 19 cubic feet of space!
- The RoofPax Cargo Bag has all the security features to make it as safe as possible. It comes with 6 door hooks to secure the unit to the top of the roof of the vehicle. It doesn’t have any straps that go through your car.
- The RoofPax is made from Military quality materials. It features Waterproof Seam Technology and Water Resistant Double coating. This ensures that not a single drop of water enters your cargo.
- The unit includes 10 elastic Velcro strap restrainers which keep the straps in place. They stop the straps from flapping.
- Whether your vehicle has a roof rack or not, with the RoofPax Cargo Bag, you don’t have to worry. It can fit perfectly on top of any car or SUV without any problem. All you have to do is install it which takes only a few minutes and you are good to go!
- You can fit a lot of stuff in the RoofPax Rooftop Cargo bag. It measures 47.2 x 35.4 x 19.8 inches and offers a massive 19 cubic feet of space!
4. Rightline Gear Sport Car Top Carrier
The Rightline Rooftop Cargo Bag earns 4.5 stars out of 5! Though it can be used on SUVs, it’s perfect for smaller-sized cars with or without roof racks. It also has an aerodynamic shape that made the car drive safe, and without too much noise.
- The Rightline Roof top cargo bag can be attached to a roof with a roof rack and also to a roof that doesn’t have one.
- The product is 100% waterproof. It embraces Dual Seam Technology which is sewn on the unit for added strength and protection.
- With its Zip Right System, you get protection from all types of weather conditions. The system contains a urethane coated zipper which is placed on the zipper flap so that no water can enter into the cargo bag.
- The dimensions of the unit are 36 x 30 x 13/16 inches. It has a size of 9 cubic feet.
- The bag comes with all the equipment you need to install it so that you do not have to buy anything.
5. ToolGuards Car Top Carrier Roof Bag
We gave ToolGuards Rooftop Cargo Bag 4.5 stars out of 5. It is one of the easiest carrying Rooftop Cargo Bag that you will find in the market. It weighs only 7.19 pounds and the dimensions of the unit are 14.9 x 11.8 x 2.3 inches.
- The ToolGuards Rooftop Cargo Bag embraces a coating of Tarpaulin in addition to fabric guard and coated zippers. This ensures that no dirt or water gets into the bag and damages your belongings.
- It can be used on all types of car roofs; the ones that have racks and the ones that do not.
- It is easy to install and requires no extra exertion.
- The unit is angled so that it works with the wind resistance. This will help to keep luggage secure on the rooftop.
- It is easy to carry.
6. Keeper Waterproof Rooftop Cargo Bag
The Keeper Rooftop Cargo Bag gets 4 stars out of 5! It’s the lightest Rooftop Cargo Bag on our list. It’s budget-friendly, waterproof, and durable.
- The unit has a size of 15 cubic feet which is considered a standard size of a cargo bag.
- It fits perfectly over your car’s roof. To ensure safe and secure attachment, the cargo bag has attachment straps on all four sides of the bag.
- The rooftop cargo bag is waterproof and protects it against other deterrents like dirt, mud, UV radiation, etc.
- It has soft sides that work best to fit in odd-shaped items.
- It is made nylon which is laminated by nylon.
7. Asani Rooftop Cargo Bag
Earning 4.8 stars out of 5, the Asani Rooftop Cargo Bag is one of the best value cargo bags that you can get! It has an exceptional storage capacity, durability, design, and a lifetime warranty!
- The Asani Rooftop Cargo Bag has a very thoughtful design. When not in use, the unit can be folded in a shape as small as a tablet! This makes it easy to store.
- The Asani Cargo Bag is 100% water-resistant. It’s coated with a triple-layer waterproof tarpaulin that keeps water out of your cargo and also other materials like grit, dirt, and heat.
- The unit has a dimension of 44 x 34 x 17 inches and has a size of 15 cubic feet. Furthermore, it has a maximum weight capacity of 99 lbs!
- The sides of the unit are soft so that it can easily accommodate all types of items in it without any difficulty!
- It embraces 8 reinforced straps and durable buckles to keep the cargo bag secure, firm, and safe on top of your vehicle’s roof.
Rooftop Cargo Bag Buying Guide
There are a lot of questions that revolve around a person’s head before they buy a particular product. You might also have several questions about Rooftop Cargo Bags. Whether you’re wondering how to choose the best Rooftop Cargo Bag for yourself or whether you even need one, we talk about it in this section!
The Purpose of a Rooftop Cargo Bag
A rooftop cargo bag helps to increase the cargo space in your car. Whether you’re carrying personal belongings, suitcases, or any type of gear, if it doesn’t fit in your car, it can fit in a rooftop cargo bag.
Like you can judge by the above reviews, each cargo bag varies in size, quality, and features. So, each rooftop cargo bag is unique from each other and you have a good chance to find a bag that fits perfectly on top of the car’s roof.
Another alternative to increase your car’s cargo space is a Cargo Roof Box. Though they work just as good as Cargo Roof Bags, they cost more. Rooftop Cargo Roof Bags also can be stored easily since they can fold flat.
Furthermore, roof racks aren’t necessary for Cargo Roof Bags. They are a lot of models that can be attached securely to your vehicle’s rooftop without needing a roof rack.
How to Choose the Best Rooftop Cargo Bag?
There are a few things to consider to choose the best rooftop cargo bag for your car and your travel needs.
This particular section will help you choose a cargo bag that is perfect for you!
The Size of the Rooftop Cargo Bag
As mentioned before, every cargo bag varies in size. Thus, it’s very important that you think about the reason you want a cargo bag. What do you want to put in it?
Once you have decided on the type of items you want to store in your cargo bag, think about the sizes and shapes of each item. This is important because shapes can hinder the space of the cargo bag just as much as the number of items can.
Thirdly, you should measure the length and width of your vehicle’s rooftop. Why? So you can buy a unit that fits perfectly on the rooftop.
So, before buying a particular Rooftop Cargo Bag, do consider all these important factors.
The Shape of the Rooftop Cargo Bag
This is another imperative aspect to consider. The shape is important because it will affect the operation of your car.
Automotive Aerodynamics is the study of how air, wind, and many gases affect the motion of a vehicle. Aerodynamics can hinder your car’s speed, it can cause noise emission, affect your car’s gas consumption, and even cause instability.
Not only does it affect the functionality of the car but it can affect the security of the cargo bag as well. If you’re driving at high speeds and for long periods, the straps of the cargo bag might wear and tear due to the huge force exerted on them by the wind.
When you have a big cargo bag on your rooftop, aerodynamics may cause problems. Thus it’s very important that you consider the size and shape of your car, as well as the cargo bag, to avoid any issues with aerodynamics.
We’ve already established the fact that aerodynamics doesn’t only hinder the motion of your car but can damage the cargo bag as well.
Make sure the rooftop cargo bag you’re buying has all the compulsory safety measures to ensure that your cargo remains safe and secure.
These measures might include heavy-duty straps and buckle as well as waterproof and UV protected material the cargo bag is made of.
Method of Installation
Different Rooftop Cargo Bags have different ways of installation. Some need roof racks, while some can be installed on a bare roof. There are a few bags that need a protective mat beneath it to install it securely to your car roof rack.
The durability of a product includes everything from its material to the different features that ensure its safety. You can judge the durability of a Cargo Bag by examining the material it embraces.
The first thing you can inspect is the material of the cargo bag. It needs to embrace top-quality material. Most cargo bags are resistant to many deterrents like Water, UV radiations, dirt, and adverse weather conditions.
Furthermore, you can check the quality of the straps, zippers, and buckles. Aerodynamics can tear the straps if they’re not made from a top-quality, sturdy material thus ensuring its durability as well.
Most Rooftop Cargo bags are made from polyester and vinyl which help keep the bag free from moisture, dirt, and the sun.
Safety Tips to Keep the Cargo Bag Secured
One of the things that people worry about the most when it comes to cargo bags is that if it is safe and secure enough to use. The simple answer to this question is that it is. Different cargo bags use different mounting techniques to keep the bag safe and sound on the rooftop.
In this section, we give you a few tips to ensure that the unit remains safe and in place during your entire journey.
Pack your stuff smartly!
Try to categorize your luggage into two main categories; lightweight and heavyweight. You can store as many lightweight belongings in the cargo bag which will help to improve the aerodynamics of your vehicle.
Distribute The Luggage Evenly In The Cargo Bag
Whenever you’re placing any type of luggage in the cargo bag, make sure that the heavy and lightweight objects are evenly distributed inside the bag. This will ensure the bag remains firmly secured on the vehicle’s roof even if the wind is strong.
Use Cargo Anchors
Cargo anchors help to keep the cargo bag and the belongings stored inside glued to their place. It makes sure that even if there’s strong wind or you stop your vehicle suddenly, the cargo bag won’t fall off the roof.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Can you put suitcases in the roof bag?Yes, you can put suitcases in the roof cargo bag. But make sure they are light in weight. Try to store the heavier bags or suitcases in the trunk of your car since they could damage the roof of your car.Also, consider the size of your bags and suitcases as well before loading them into the bag.
Q2. Can I use a cargo bag without a roof rack?Yes, you can! Like we mentioned before, there are a lot of Rooftop Cargo Bag models that don’t require a roof rack. These units usually have heavy-duty straps and buckles or car hooks which help to keep the cargo bag secure over the roof.The cargo bags that have straps and buckles go through the inside of the car to secure the unit from both sides. Whereas, the units that use car hooks for installation are ‘hooked’ between the door and the roof of the car.Here’s how to attach a rooftop cargo bag without a roof rack.
Q3. Are rooftop cargo bags safe?Yes, rooftop cargo bags are relatively safe if you install them correctly.A Rooftop Cargo Bag should give you clear visibility. This means that the bag should not hinder your side or rear-view.If you’re still reluctant, you can install Cargo Anchors. These will make sure that your belongings, as well as the bag, remain in place even if the vehicle stops abruptly.
Q4. Can roof racks damage my car?It might and might not. If you install the Rooftop Cargo Bag properly and you don’t overload it, it shouldn’t damage your car.You should always know the limitations of the weight your vehicle’s roof can bear. So always read through the vehicle’s manual or ask a professional to find out the amount of weight your car can carry on its rooftop.You can further prevent damaging the roof of your vehicle by loading the heaviest cargo in your trunk and the lighter things in the rooftop cargo bag.
Rooftop Cargo Bags are the top solution to increasing the carrying space of your car. They come in various shapes, sizes, and mounting techniques with an array of useful features.
Whether you are going camping, hiking, or road-tripping, cargo bags come in handy.
While all the rooftop cargo bags we’ve reviewed here all do a fine job of storing your belongings, our heart is set on the Sherpak Go! Rooftop Cargo Bag. You can store so much stuff in it! We’ve managed to fit in most of our camping gear and two kids bikes!
It can be overwhelming to choose the best Rooftop Cargo Bag and we hope that our buying guide has helped you decide which one is most suitable for your travel needs.