Whether you’re going out with your friends or family, security is everyone’s top priority. So, what’s the best way to keep your RV safe and sound? An RV Door Lock!
In this article, we talk about the best RV Door Lock options; the traditional ones that work with a key, and the new innovative keyless ones.
All the locks below are unique and secure but there is one in particular that really stands out for its advanced features.
Make sure you scroll down to read our guide and frequently asked questions to get all the answers to the questions you may have. Let’s dive in!
RV Door Locks - Our Top Picks
- Top choice: RVLock V4 Keyless RV Door Lock
- Best for full glass door: RVLock Compact Keypad
- Best for 5th wheels: AP Products Travel Trailer Lock Set
- Best option with 2 remote fobs: Carmtek RV Door Lock
- Most affordable: Class A Customs RV Door Lock with deadbolt
- Most compact: RV Designer Collection T507 RV Door Lock
- Best option with light-up keypad: AP Products RV Door Lock
RV’s are used for short and long term accommodation by many people around the globe.
It’s safe to assume that an RV is considered a home away from home. Thus, it’s imperative that you keep it just as secure as you would keep your actual house. You don’t want any unwanted guests or intruders in your RV!
In this article, we talk about RV Door Lock options; the traditional ones that function with the use of a key, and the new innovative keyless ones. All of these units are unique, sturdy, and secure but there is one in particular that really stands out for its advanced features.
But what makes this article different from all of the rest? Besides the reviews, we’ve also put together a buying guide that includes all of the questions you might have regarding RV Door Locks.
Thus, if you’ve been reading reviews of countless RV Door Locks and still have no idea which one to buy, then you have come to the right place. This guide should push you in the right direction!
Best RV Door Lock: Quick Answers
We’ve reviewed the following 7 RV Door Locks very closely. We’ve inspected them closely, and considered them as the best RV Door Locks you can get for travel trailers, motor homes, 5th wheels, and even utility trailers. For a quick and easy review of all these unique RV Door Locks, read below!
1. RVLock V4 Keyless Entry RV Door Lock
The RVLock Keyless Entry is by far our favorite RV door lock. It fits most RVs and it has everything you need in a door lock.
- The RVLock V4 Handle is your go-to solution for keyless entry into your RV. It’s innovative, secure, and can sync up to 10 different fobs! Each of these 10 fobs can be programmed to various locks.
- This lock consists of a V4 Keyless handle that has a built-in keypad, mechanical keys in case you forgot your password, and remote fob.
- It also comes with a 1-year warranty and a great customer service team based in Utah!
- It can replace standard handles that have dimensions of 3.75 inches x 2.75 inches x 1.5 inches (approximately). Also, it works with most vehicles including 5th wheel campers and camper trailers, bumper pull, etc..
- The keypad has a steel body construction and is resistant to even the harshest weather conditions.
- We really liked that it offers customized key codes that are unique to your RV door lock making it pretty much impossible to crack into.
- As for the installation process, the RVLock comes with all the installation hardware. It only takes about 10 minutes to set up.
2. RVLock Key Fog and Compact RV Lock
The RV Lock Key Fog and PH Compact Keyless Entry offers great premium features. It’s compact, secure, and reliable.
- The RV Lock Key Fog and RH Compact Keypad has a heavy-duty handle that will keep your home on wheels safe and secure while you’re traveling.
- The handle is made of durable material to ensure that no matter what kind of weather you’re driving your rig through, the handle will remain strong.
- This RVLock Keyless lock mechanism is engineered to fit most bumper-pull, 5th wheels, travel trailers, and campers.
- It replaces handles of approximately 3.75 x 2.75 x 1.5 inches.
- This RV door lock has several features that you will find useful such as a keyless handle, rolling codes of your choice, and mechanical keys. It also comes with a remote fob, integrated keypad, and 4 AA Batteries.
3. AP Products Travel Trailer Entrance Lock Set (Runner up 2)
The AP products Travel Trailer Entrance Lock Set is easy to install and works well with most travel trailers and 5th wheels. It’s versatile and affordable!
- With a smooth design, the AP Product Travel Trailer Entrance lockset is an RV door lock that’s compatible with almost all travel trailers as well as 5thwheel campers. There are 3 different colors to choose from; black, white and chrome.
- It’s ideal for an entrance lock and its design makes it really convenient to use. The installation process is easy, even if you’re not much of a handyperson you can do it, it only takes a few minutes.
- The AP products Lock Set consists of a lock, paddle, and deadbolt.
- The handle is made of strong high-quality metal and it’s sturdy.
- This RV door lock also has a rubber gasket which eliminates the need to caulk.
4. Carmtek Keyless RV Door Lock
The Carmtek Keyless Entry Door Lock Handle is one of the most secure and resistant lock you will find on the market.
- The Carmtek Keyless RV Door Lock is made of premium zinc alloy flame-retardant nylon material. It has an IP65 waterproof and UL-94 V2 fire-protection rating! This means that it can safely be used anywhere without worrying about any sort of damage.
- The unit has a keyless lock mechanism which makes life so much easier! You can leave your RV without needing to keep the keys with you at all times!
- It features 3 locking and unlocking options. You can also choose between the keypad, keys, or wireless fobs to lock the handle. We really like that it comes with two key fobs. This gives you a spare in case you lose or damage one.
- This particular RV door lock takes only a few minutes, a maximum of 5- 10 minutes, to install. In addition, you get an instruction manual with all the mounting hardware as well to make the task a breeze.
- It’s versatile, it fits up to an opening size of 3.75 x 2.75 x 1.5 inches. It’s also compatible with 5th wheels, Bumper Pull, Campers, Travel Trailer, A-Class, and C-Class.
5. Class A Customs RV Door Lock
Class A Customs RV Door Lock is a great budget option. It has a standard design and can operate flawlessly from inside as well as outside of your vehicle. This RV Door Lock is convenient and has all the necessary features you might need, without breaking the bank.
- This small black RV Door Lock consists of a built-in deadbolt that helps enhance the level of security it provides to your RV.
- This RV door lock adorns inside as well as outside latches.
- It has 2 matching keys, and each one can work for the deadbolt as well as the handle lock.
- It’s versatile and can fit on most RVs, horse trailers, travel trailers, and even custom utility trailers!
- The Class A Customs RV Door Lock fits 2 ¾ x 3 ¾ inches hole cutouts with door thickness varying from 1 ¼ to 1 ½ inch.
6. RV Designer Collection T507 RV Door Lock with Deadbolt
The RV Designer Collection entrance lock with a deadbolt is a small and compact Door Lock that works well with most vehicles.
- The RV Designer Collection T507 is no-fuss RV Door Lock with a deadbolt that’s easy to install and replace.
- This particular RV door lock embraces an interior handle that makes closing and opening your RV’s door as smooth as possible.
- The design is simple and has a convenient compact size.
- The Designer Collection T507 RV Door Lock is a durable and reliable replacement of the OEM Door Handle.
7. AP Products Electric RV Door Lock
The AP Products Electric Door Lock is another reliable, and durable RV door lock. We found it to be super easy to operate with its simple touch pad.
- The AP Products Electric RV Door Lock is a self-contained RV door latch that features Capacitive Touch Tech which is ideal for RV entry doors.
- The touchpad is incorporated into the door handle. These two aspects, collectively, control the deadbolt which makes it easy to install as well as function. The unit is programmable by using a 4-digit PIN.
- We liked that the keypad has large buttons that light up in the dark to make it easier to see at night.
- In case you forget the code or the batteries die on you, you can always use the key that comes with it. It operates the deadbolt lock and the paddle.
- Furthermore, the AP products Electric RV Door Lock features a hassle-free touch pad so that you don’t have to carry around a key or a fob everywhere you go!
RV Door Lock Buying Guide
What's an RV Door Lock and Why Do You Need One?
An RV Door Lock is just a lock that you put on your RV’s door to keep it well locked-up. While some units have a lock that functions with a wireless key, others just operate with a touchpad.
Both kinds of RV Door Locks are the same. The only difference is that one requires you to carry a key all the time while the other requires you to remember a PIN code. Thus, the decision between whether to buy a wireless key RV Door Lock or a Keyless RV Door Lock simply depends on your preference.
The only advantage keyless models of RV Door locks have over the key ones is that all you need is to remember a simple code to unlock your trailer. So, if you’re someone who tends to lose things easily, you can opt for a keyless door lock.
If you also have a bad memory, no need to panic if you forget the code as most of these keyless door locks have a mechanical key that you can use to open up the door.
The purpose of the RV Door Lock is the protection of your vehicle and belongings. Whether you’re going camping, fishing, or living in your RV full-time, a lock keeps your vehicle secure at all times.
Especially, if you have children on board, an RV Door Lock will keep everything and everyone safe and sound.
The lock unlocks by using the code or the keys so no one will be able to unlock it except for the person who has the key or knows the PIN.
How To Choose The Best RV Door Lock?
You might be wondering what really makes the ideal RV Door Lock for your vehicle? How do you choose the best RV Door Lock out of all the above options? Well, to help you out, we’ve come up with a list of factors you should keep in mind while shopping for an RV Door Lock.
Size of the RV Door Lock
This has the utmost importance. The first thing you need to do is measure your RV’s door and the existing cutout. After that, you need to evaluate if the RV Door Lock that you’re looking at buying can fit into that cut-out or not.
This will help you choose an RV Door Lock that fits properly and stays securely on your RV’s door. This is paramount if you want the RV door lock to provide you with the security you expect from this kind of product.
A perfectly sized door lock will also make installation 10 times easier!
RV Door Lock Access Options
Another important element to keep in mind while shopping for your RV door lock is the options it provides. An RV Door Lock that only uses keys will only be opened with its key. Whereas a keyless RV door lock can be opened with a code, a key fob, or a mechanical key.
If you’re leaning more towards a keyless RV Door Lock, then look at the back-up plans it offers. Does it offer you a mechanical key or a key fob you can use if the code doesn’t work? Even if you think you’ll never forget your code, technology is man-made, and it can potentially malfunction.
Thus, it’s important to evaluate how you can open the RV door lock in the event you run into an inconvenience.
The Color of the RV Door Lock
This seems obvious because we all love our cars and RVs. Most people want them to look sleek, sophisticated, and perfect.
There are still people though who take this factor very lightly and it’s not a wise decision. Like we mentioned before, an RV or a trailer is like a second home. You want your home to have the right co-ordination and have an elegant interior as well as an exterior because you will spend a bit of time looking at it.
Thus, it’s very important you choose a unit that compliments the color of your RV rather than the one that clashes with it. I don’t know about you but if had to look at a black door lock on my white RV door every day, this would drive me nuts! lol (First world problem I know but I’m sure you get my point).
The Installation Process
Some RV Door Locks take a few minutes to install while others might require professional help. Thus, always note the installation process of the unit.
Usually, most RV door locks have instruction manuals that give clear instructions about how to securely install it. So, try to look for a unit that allows you to install it yourself without any complicated technicalities.
This is also important because you might run into a problem with the RV door lock during your trip. If the installation process is easy, you will most probably be able to solve the problem on your own. If not, you might have a hard time finding professional help if you’re far from a town.
The Quality of the RV Door Lock
The quality and the material of the RV Door Lock hold a substantial role in whether your RV Lock will provide you with the security you expect from it.
Most locks consist of a metal or hard plastic, which keeps the unit firm on your RV’s door. The construction also indicates the shelf life of a particular RV Door Lock.
So, it would be best to invest in an RV Door Lock that is made of either of the above two materials. We recommend you look at the specifications to see if these are water-resistant, flame retardant, and non-corrosive.
The Security Measures
You need your RV to be safe at all times. It’s highly critical that you invest in an RV door lock that keeps intruders away from your RV no matter what.
Look for units that have a deadbolt. A Deadbolt has a locking system that won’t let it move to an opening positioning if the right key is not inserted in it. They’re prevalent for securing any door in place due to their mechanism.
Proper door locks are strong and firm and have a higher chance to keep the intruder out from your place no matter how much force they apply to break it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1: Can RV locks be rekeyed?
Yes, it’s possible to get your RV Locks rekeyed. All you have to do is take the lock cylinder to the locksmith and they will work their magic!
Q2: What Are RV Door Locks Made Of?
Most RV Locks are made of metal or hard plastic. The units that have deadbolts are in most cases made of metal. The buttons and the covers are typically made of plastic.
Some units, like the Carmtek keyless Entry Door Lock Handle, are made of zinc and nylon. The manufacturers claim this makes the product more reliable and durable.
Q3: How to reset the Pin of the RV Door Lock?
First, you need to check the instructions manual that comes with the unit to see how to do it. Don’t worry if you’ve lost the manual!
Most RV Door Locks come with a button called ‘Code Reset’ which helps you to reset the code. Some units require you to enter the current PIN code before changing it.
However, if you have forgotten your existing PIN Code, we recommend that you seek the help of a professional to help you solve the problem.
Securing your RV from intruders is similar to securing your house. Thus, getting a sturdy and reliable RV Door Lock will help to ease your mind at night while you’re sleeping or when you’re away from your RV.
While all the 7 RV door locks we’ve mentioned will do a great job at securing your RV, we found the RVLock V4 Keyless Entry RV Door Lock to be the absolute best. It can sync up to 10 key fobs and has a user-friendly touchpad with a mechanical key in case the touchpad doesn’t work.